Tuesday, March 6, 2012

nothin common about it!!!


Maybe I am just an old guy who is living in the past, but most of the stuff going on today is just bugging me.   Now, I had hoped to avoid a lot of political stuff here, and I am trying, but when common sense (which is anything but common these days) is suspended, it goes beyond politics.   It has been suggested that compulsory education…compulsory means “have to”…should be extended past age 16 up to age 18, at the very least.  There are even those who believe it should extend to college…that is right; there are those who feel that every person should go to college…even if he or she doesn’t want to.   Now, before you label me a college hater, I am all for anyone going to college who wants to…as long as he or she has the desire and the means to attend…but it is foolish to believe that everyone can or should go to college.  I firmly believe…and stay with me here…that our society is based on the equality of opportunity and NOT the equality of outcome.  College is not for everyone and was never designed to be that way!  Our society is…or was…based on the idea of personal responsibility and personal initiative…that is, if I want it bad enough, I will work to get it.  It is not based on some warped reasoning that if someone has it, he or she took it from me, and I should get it simple because someone else has it.  Success is not a “zero-sum” game…for someone to get it; another does not have to lose it.  Back to this education thing, I will go on record as saying that college is not for everyone.  I will even go further and say that high school is not for everyone either!   While understanding that society is better as a whole if the citizens are educated, it is not better off it citizens who have neither the desire nor the ability are required to be in school…I did not say educated because there is a difference…this does not serve the society well, and it serves those students who desire to learn and be in school less.  School should be reserved for those that desire to be there!  Remember…the only way to treat everyone equally is to make them equally miserable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment