Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Good Lesson Learned

I know it seems weird, but I still learn lessons every now and then.  I learned a valuable one today.  My son came home today with one of those notes...you know those notes...the ones that tell you stuff you don't want to hear.  He had some work due that was late being turned in, and he had been called down in class a couple of times.  I knew that it was my obligation as the father to "nip this in the bud" right now.  I needed to explain to him in no uncertain terms that this was unacceptable behavior; that he was going to be punished; and that this had better not happen ever again.  As I got ready to drop the hammer, it occurred to me that I was really messing up.  I was judging him on his actions while I judged myself by my intentions.  I let myself skate when I "forgot" something or messed something up, but I was not treating him the same way.  Now, I am still gonna discipline him because I am entrusted with his upbringing, but I am going to temper it just a little.  He's a good kid who messed up, and I need to remember that.

1 comment:

  1. Train the boy right and he will be raised up to be a man you can be proud of. Remember: the acorn never falls very far from the tree. Your daddy, T.H., was like mine: a stern but fun loving man who expected out of expectations that you would be a better man than he as he was a better man than his father. Keep the boy ground in the principals of love of God, love of country and love of family. No doubt he will become the Darden you know he will be.

    ReplyDelete